Sooooooo… Long time no see…. 😀
It’s been a while, but I’m finally back. So many unexpected things happened over the past couple of months including my new job and rebranding itsNkenge. During my blog hiatus, I’ve come to really put aside time to reflect and learn more about myself. I started to realize that I needed to stop being a perfectionist and just do what I love. It took me some time, but I’m slowly but surely getting there, one way or another.
If you haven’t noticed yet, I’ve removed the word ‘trendy’ from my usual slogan, ‘trendy, unique, fun, and fashionable’. It was something I’ve been mulling over for sometime now and thought to myself, I’m over the trends and over looking for online guides to tell me what I should or should not wear. I want my blog to be more about me – Not ‘who wore it better’. Over the next few months to the rest of the year, you’ll be seeing a lot more of me. I’m talking daily posts, more outfits, youtube videos, and everything else unique, fun, and fashionable. I’m also in the process of switching a few things around on my blog and getting a new homepage! So make sure you subscribe to be notified on when these new updates take place! 🙂
Overall, I’ve learned that every year you’re going to experience something new. Doesn’t matter which day, which hour, or minute it will be, the more time passes, you’ll make multiple mistakes and learn from them. As life goes on, I’ve been recording my milestones and taking on new beginnings as I apply lessons I’ve learned to my current everyday life. The following is a list I’ve compiled as a reflection to the past year of those lessons. Here, I’m appreciating the idea of looking back, and paving the way to look forward:
- Find your foundation, find yourself. You’re just as important as the next person, if not more.
- If you believe in something, go get it. What are you waiting for? The only one stopping you is you.
- Responsibilities first, fun second. I have a friend that says, “Put it all on the credit card first and pay it later.” I tried that, and I was in debt for months. Don’t do anything rash.
- Your health IS your wealth. Always remember to put yourself first. How can you take care of others if you don’t?
- Thou shall not procrastinate. Might as well Practice good habits while I’m still in school to avoid issues where there are worst consequences.
- One step at a time. My mind has the tendency to go off the rails when I’m doing too many things at once. Constantly reminding myself to take it one step at a time and avoid becoming a complete mess.
- Friend or Foe. I used to care about what others thought of me. Now I could care less.
- You don’t have to do everything alone. Just this past year, I’m now realizing the people who care about me so much, that they are willing to help me in anyway they can. Don’t turn down the people who offer help, unless you have to.
- It’s okay to not have a big butt. Accept yourself for you and no one else. Yes, this was a thing, but I’m over it now. 😅
- There will always be a worst situation. This has helped me to stop looking past things, and start looking above. For every problem you’re going through, there will always be something worst. Be optimistic.
- I’m a kid at heart, and I’m going to stay that way. Yes, I like Disney movies and anime. Do you, and I’m going to do me.
- Sleep is so necessary. I’ve received a much needed rest on a number of occasions this summer that I realized I wouldn’t be able to function properly if I didn’t. Regardless of what you’re doing in your life right now, make sure you’re setting time to rest. Replenish yourself, don’t waste yourself.
- Keep trying new things. Can’t stress how important this one is. New things bring new opportunities. Be open-minded and put your brain to good use. Nuff said.
- Keep experiencing new adventures. Although, I didn’t get as much vacation time as I thought I would this summer, I’m still an avid aspiring traveler who wants to explore new horizons and learn about cultures other than my own. New York is only ONE of the top places to visit in this world. Why stop there?
This summer has been life changing in the smallest and biggest way. So much, that it’s become a bit overwhelming. Nonetheless, with every new lesson comes a new and positive beginning that in result, will benefit you for years to come.
If this resonated with you in some way, let me know in the comments below!
Shoes: Donald J. Pliner
Photos by Nathalie of @NYAffair
Until next time,